Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Happy Birthday, now move so I can see this film!

I'm pissed. Not in the British way... but angry, because I keep missing some great events at Rooftop Films this Summer, and this Thursday I am missing their 3-Way B-Day party with IndieWire and Snag Films. I'll be down in Philadelphia (ok, I love Philly, so that part makes me happy) for a consulting gig (one I hope to be able to speak about positively in the future), so I'll miss this great event. They'll be showing the film Aardvark by Kitao Sakurai.

The film's description from the website:

AARDVARK (Kitao Sakurai | New York, NY | 90 min.)
AARDVARK is perhaps the first narrative film to star a man blind since birth. In a role inspired by his own life, Larry Lewis plays a solitary man recovering from alcoholism and working towards stability. When he joins a Jiu Jitsu academy he finds a close friend in his young hard-partying instructor, Darren. But, as disturbing aspects of Darren's life are revealed Larry soon finds himself alone and faced with the consequences of a horrific act of violence.

Sounds great, but ahem, 3 amigos, I had to scroll through all your boilerplate descriptions to find this....

Ok, enough critique - here's three great companies helping indie filmmakers, and what a great idea - as Dan Nuxoll of Rooftop put it to me in an email, it's not just a birthday party, but a great way to sneak preview a film for the industry:

"since (we'll) be getting together a group of great industry people together for the celebration, it will also be a great opportunity to highlight a new film and give it a chance to break through to our audience and also to some of the important distributors, press and other industry. The idea was that, with all of us pushing the screening and getting behind a new film that we believed in, a quality film that might possibly get overlooked (elsewhere) could get an evening to itself and get in front of a big and influential audience." (my edits)





I think this is a great way to celebrate indie films. I'm completely behind new models for building buzz, and I am sooo supportive of anything Rooftop does - can someone give them a grant to expand across the whole darn country, already?

Check out the info here, buy tickets and tweet about it all night long so I really feel rotten for missing another great event.


Oh...did I mention there's an after-party with free beer?! (Thus my angst)

No comments: